State pension and potentially claiming back pay…

A recent news article references a claim which may be of interest to divorced clients’ who were born before 6th April 1953.

Essentially, under the old system, the basic state pension is normally based on an individual’s own record of National Insurance contributions. If you divorce when you reach pension age, then a wife can ask the Department of Work and Pensions to substitute the National Insurance record of their ex-husband up to the date of the divorce.

This can then mean that the level of state pension you are receiving may be increased. You may also be eligible for any back payments.

As a general comment with reference to financial claims, please do not overlook obtaining information as to both the basic state pension entitlement together with any additional state pension that you may have. While basic state pension cannot be shared, the level of income that you will receive will help you to plan for retirement.

If you have any questions or if we can help in any way regarding any Family Law matter please click here to contact a member of our knowledgeable and highly experienced Family Law team today to arrange your free initial consultation.

Share article